Friday, December 23, 2011

December 21, 2011 Christmas Party Food

December 21, 2011 Christmas Party Food

Today I made more rice and took it with my Ma Po Dofu to a party at a client’s and ate tasty tamales, green chili stew and vegetarian black bean burritos. 

For dinner I went to Suzette’s Center for Ageless living to watch the fire pit and supervise smore making and marshmallow roasting.  No cooking today.

The Greenhouse Bistro served employees beef stew and bread pudding.  I tried both and was impressed again with Eric’s brown sauces.  The stew was a combination of potatoes carrots, onions and beef swimming in a clear, creamy, light brown gravy.

Let me just say that to tread the path of traditional culturally accepted food is the path of least resistance seems to be traditional when it comes to Christmas.

I do not know when or what triggers one’s palate to become attracted to the unusual and different in cuisine.  Most people seem to be most comfortable eating those foods and ingredients they were raised with and there is great merit in that for holidays such as Christmas.   Since different countries have different ingredients because of geographic factors, I tend to seek to understand other cultures through their food.  When I think I have found a dish that is interesting and especially delicious, I tend to want to share it with others.  If folks trust me and Suzette to provide only those dishes that we thing are particularly delicious on our Christmas Table, then they should have an interesting food experience, also.  This is my theory of planning my Christmas Open House Menu.  Stay with what you know is good and interesting.  Do not good with far out dishes or ingredients and do not cut corners by buying platters of pre-prepared food or badly catered food.  Each person expresses their own innate knowledge of cooking and entertaining and that is special and worthy of note through the food you prepare and serve. 

Bon Appètit

No comments:

Post a Comment