Sunday, December 18, 2011

December 16, 2011 Lunch – Café Trang; Dinner – Guacamole

December 16, 2011  Lunch – Café Trang;  Dinner – Guacamole

Suzette was going to Costco to buy groceries for her Santa Rosa facility and I asked her to buy a whole salmon and clams, so I suggested meeting Nizar Kassam and his wife for lunch at Cafe Trang, because I needed to shop at Ta Lin for fresh dill for Gravad Lax for the Christmas Eve Open House.  Café Trang is one of my favorite Vietnamese restaurants, because it usually has the best and freshest selection of fresh herbs, because it is owned by Ta Lin and Ta Lin is one of the largest wholesalers of Oriental foods in town.  When I arrived late Fatima already was eating a cold salad of chicken on a bed of cabbage and herbs.  I ordered one of my favorites soups, Pho (beef) with slices of beef meatballs and thin slices of raw tenderloin cooked into the hot beef broth and lots of rice noodles.  Vietnamese hot soups are all served with a side plate of fresh mung beans and herbs (No. 21).  Herbs usually include Oriental basil and cilantro and, in the summer, anything else fresh.  I was surprised to see that the basil was a little wilted, perhaps because of the cold weather.  I asked and was served fish sauce in a small spouted bottle and squirted a liberal dash of hoisen sauce (sweet soy bean sauce) and a few drops of Shiracha (hot red chili sauce) and tore leaves of fresh cilantro and basil into the soup.

After lunch I went to Ta Lin and found lovely fresh dill.

I ate a medium bowl of soup which is rather large, so was not hungry for dinner.  Our son, Willy called and told me he had arrived in Phoenix and was going to arrive at around 10:30p.m., so I made guacamole with five small ripened avocados that I have bought at Pro’s Ranch Market on Thursday (3 for $.99) and mashed them up in bowl with about ¼ cup of finely chopped onion and the juice of two limes and a generous dollop of Cholula hot sauce and about 1/3 cup of chopped fresh cilantro leaves.  I ate a few bites of the creamy but slightly chunky guacamole with some corn tortilla chips I had bought at Pro’s also.

By the time Suzette arrived home at around I was not hungry and was happy to agree to not cook because she had eaten at a staff party at a going away party for Lucy at her Los Lunas facility in the afternoon and was not hungry also.

Suzette had bought a large 8.5 lb fresh salmon and a five lb. bag of manila clams at Costco.  She put the clams in a large bowl filled with water to keep them alive and put the salmon in the fridge.  During the day I had cooked some of the fava beans I bought at Istanbul Market on Thursday in our bean pot, so, after letting the beans cool, we spent a few minutes shucking the dark outer husks from the fava beans.  We ended up with about 2 cups of shucked cooked beans.

After some fruit cake and a visit with Debbie McCoy and picking up Willy at the airport, we went to bed.

Bon Appètit

No comments:

Post a Comment