Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December 20, 2011 Lunch East Ocean Dinner – Ma Po Dou Fou

December 20, 2011 Lunch East Ocean Dinner – Ma Po Dou Fou

I had lunch at East Ocean. The usual Scallops in Lobster Sauce, which I love.

Dinner came together rather easily.  I had three Ichiban eggplants. So I cut up two Mexican Squashes, the eggplants,  ¾ cup onion, 1 Tbs. each of garlic and ginger (in a cups of hot water, 2 tsp. garlic and red pepper sauce, 2 chopped Anaheim chilis, and about 15 oz of diced tofu,

I sautèed the garlic and ginger in 2 tbs. of heated peanut oil in my wok at moderately high heat (that’s why it’s called stir frying).  Then I added the meat and chili/garlic sauce and cooked for a couple of minutes more until the meat began to take on a grey color.  Then I added the chopped vegetables and after a few more minutes, I added the mushrooms and about two Tbs. of Chinese rice cooking wine and 1 Tbs. of soy sauce and one tsp. of sesame oil.  After all of this had cooked for about twenty minutes I added the wood ear and water and tofu and boiled it for another twenty or thirty minutes, until Suzette came home.  Then I heated some PPI rice in the microwave and made a thickening mixture of about three Tbs. of corn starch, one tsp. of sesame oil and 1 Tbs. of rice cooking wine and 1 Tbs. of soy sauce.   I added this to the boiling wok full of food and cooked it for about another five minutes to make a sauce.  There was a lot of liquid and it took a while longer to thicken.  The recipe usually calls for two cups of liquid but there was so much food in the wok I added 4 cups, so I made more thickening mixture and cooked it a bit longer than usual so it would thicken.  The recipe usually calls for chopped green onion and Szechuan peppercorns to garnish, but I did not care to take the extra time to chop those, because the dish had so many ingredients, that it did not need any more stuff in it in my opinion.

I was delicious over rice with a cup of green/jasmine tea.

After dinner I made my chocolate baked pudding dessert for the party.  One more thing done.  It appears that we are on schedule to complete all the dishes by Saturday.

Bon Appètit      

No comments:

Post a Comment