Monday, May 20, 2019

May 20, 2019 Lunch – Taj Mahal. Dinner – a Grilled Dinner of Lamb Chops, Asparagus , and White Sweet Potatoes

May 20, 2019 Lunch – Taj Mahal. Dinner – a Grilled Dinner of Lamb Chops, Asparagus , and White Sweet Potatoes

I had my usual breakfast of granola, yogurt, tropical fruit salad and a touch of milk.

Then I ran several appointments and joined Mike for lunch at Taj Mahal.  The lunch buffet at Taj Mahal has never been reduced in quality, although the price has increased over the years.  It now is $12.25, which I consider fair, especially when restaurants of similar quality such as India House in Santa Fe charge $14.95 for a buffet lunch of comparable quality.  I ate tandoori chicken, beef meatballs in tamarind sauce, and chicken tikka Marsala plus saag and some rice and fresh onion slices and riata.

I called Suzette to see if it was okay to invite Mike to dinner and she agreed.

Then I had rice pudding for dessert.

Here are pictures of the buffet.




After lunch I went home and worked until 3:30 and then napped until Suzette arrived at 4:30.

We decided to use a Moroccan rub on the lamb shoulder chops but instead of Billy’s recipe we used a prepared rub containing sumac, garlic, and olive oil that gave the meat a reddish color.

Suzette fetched and snapped 15 stalks of large asparagus and sliced the two white sweet potatoes she bought at Sprouts on Saturday and coated them with salt, pepper, and olive oil..  When Mike came a bit after 6:00 I was working, so he drank a scotch with Suzette.  When I finished I made a gin and tonic and joined them.

Suzette then grilled all three ingredients on the grill and we had a grilled dinner. I opened the bottle of 2014 Anciano Tempranillo Crianza Rahim and Sarah gave me for Christmas.  It was smooth and delicious and complemented the lamb and brought back memories of pascal lamb and Tempranillo in Spain.







After dinner Suzette dozed in front of the TV while Mike and I ate goat cheese and French Brie on toasted French bread and drank glasses of Cherry Blossom Pinot Noir ($4.99 at Trader Joe’s).

Later after Mike left at 9:00 I ate the last of the Clafoutis with a cup of tea and a shot of Calvados.

Mike loved the meal and I must admit that it was simply wonderful.

The best asparagus this side of Segovia in the springtime five or six years ago, a wonderfully flavorful marinated lamb chop, and amazing grilled slices of white sweet potato with a really good wine.

A really good meal.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment