Wednesday, June 6, 2018

June 6, 2018 Lunch – Duck Posole. Dinner – Grilled Bratwurst, Beans, and Coleslaw

June 6, 2018 Lunch – Duck Posole.  Dinner – Grilled Bratwurst, Beans, and Coleslaw

Etienne spent the night in our guest room, so this morning I made him breakfast and showed him my stock picking strategies.  I sliced in half and toasted an everything bagel, sliced slices of red onion and Lax and we arranged onions and Lax and made a cup of Earl Grey tea with milk.

Aaron came by a bit before lunch to seek help with a new case he has.  I helped him until 1:00 when he left to take a call.  I heated the last bowl of duck Posole from last Christmas in the microwave with some red onion, oregano and the juice of our last half lemon.

The mail arrived a little after 1:00 with the flyer from El Super with the good news that limes were among the featured produce this week at 3 lb./$.99, so i hurriedly ate the Posole and drove to El Super.  This is peak season for Mexican produce.  Papayas, zucchini, and Roma tomatoes were 2lb./$.99, mangos were 3 for $.99, avocados were 4 for $.99, cilantro was $.20 per bunch. Radishes were $.25 per bunch. Green beans were $.99/lb. I bought some of each.  I splurged and bought 18 large eggs for $2.29, a pound of crema for $2.17,  a bundle of Sri Lankan cinnamon for $2.99, a several lbs of dry Black beans for $.69/lb. I could not believe the total for all the groceries came to a bit over $17.00.

When I arrived at home Aaron had arrived to resume our conference.  We worked until 5:00 and hardly spoke to suzette, who came home a bit after 4:00 and lay down to rest.

At 5:00 Aaron left and I turned in the Business news.  Only then did I discover that the Dow has risen 300 points and what looked like a down day at the open turned into a big up day.  The tech stocks did not share in the rally but I was thrilled to see a down day turn into an up day.

I asked Suzette if she wanted to grill some of the brats I bought yesterday at Smith’s (5 for $2.99) on our new grill and she said, “Yes.”

I suggested we make coleslaw and Suzette asked if there were any beans left.  I checked and there were, so we had the ingredients for a great dinner.

I cored the ¼ head of green cabbage, peeled two carrots, trimmed and washed three radishes, and cut a red bell pepper in half and Suzette ran them through the shredder fixture on the Cuisinart.  She then stirred in a heaping tablespoon of mayo, salt, and pepper to complete the coleslaw. I fetched the plastic container of beans from the fridge and we heated that in the microwave. Suzette read the instructions for the grill and lit it and grilled three brats. I went to the garage to fetch 2 beers and we filled our plates, made our dipping sauce of choice (mustard and catsup for Suzette, mustard, horseradish for me) and took our plate and beer to the garden to eat dinner.

                                                    My plate of food for dinner
It was still quite warm at 6:30, so we returned to the house and watched the news and a little of the NBA finals and dozed off.

I made a small dessert plate with one of the lemon cheesecake squares Debbie made and drank a cup of tea.  I then started a pot of black beans by filling a pot 2/3 full of water, to which I added 2 cups of black beans, a handful of dried Hoja Santa, a diced onion and two diced pork steaks that Suzette had salted and peppered and seared on the grill with the brats.

After a few minutes of simmering I took the beans to the garage and we went to bed a bit after 9:00.

The best food experience of today was definitely shopping for all the fabulous inexpensive produce at El Super.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment