Thursday, June 1, 2017

May 31, 2017 Lunch – Pork Fried Rice Egg Foo Young. Dinner – Swedish Italian Salad with Artichokes

May 31, 2017 Lunch – Pork Fried Rice Egg Foo Young. Dinner – Swedish Italian Salad with Artichokes

I worked all morning on the hotel closing documents and a pleading in the water case.

At 11:30 I stopped for lunch.  I decided to make one of my favorite quick meals, Egg Foo Young.  It is simply whatever PPIs I have mixed with egg and cooked into a cake like consistency in a wok.  Today I used the PPI Fish fried rice from Sunday’s dinner and the Fried tofu and mixed vegetables from yesterday’s lunch.  I usually add fresh ingredients.  Today I cut the end off of a thawed pork tenderloin and diced it into ½ cubes and diced ½ of an onion and two mushrooms, plus 1 T. of garlic and 1 ½ T. ginger root.

I stir fried those ingredients in 1 ½ T. of peanut oil for a couple of minutes on high heat and then added about 1 ½ cups of the PPI fried rice and stirred that for a minute.  Then I added the PPI tofu and vegetables with their sauce.  I the added about ¼ cup of tamarind juice I found in the fridge and some Chinese Cooking wine and some sesame oil and stirred the mixture together.  It was rather liquid at this point.  I then made a well in the Center of the mixture and dropped two eggs into the well and began stirring them into the mixture from the center outward until the entire mixture was coated in egg.

I then cooke d the mixture and turned it occasionally until it dried out enough to brown on the parts touchin g the wok surface.  You can eat it either wet or dry.  I prefer it in between, like a French omelet.

I could not eat all of it.  Here is a picture of the dish.

Todd called and said he had a school commitment.  We decided to meet at 7:45.  So Suzette and I discussed dinner.  We immediately decided that the PPI shrimp had to be eaten.  Suzette is off carbs, so that eliminated our usual go to recipe of pasta with scampi.  We also had artichokes that needed to be eaten.  Suzette said we had a sauce already side for the artichokes, which we took out of the fridge and tasted.  It was very lemony.  Since we had a mayonnaise sauce and dill pickles and hard boiled eggs already,  I suggested that we make a Swedish Italian Salad with shrimp and artichoke hearts and eat the artichokes with it.  Suzette warmed to the idea and suggested adding the last of a bag of asparagus in the fridge instead of the apple.  I found the recipe for Italian Salad in my Swedish Cookbook.  Here is the recipe:



I chopped a cup of carrots. Suzette blanched the carrots, frozen peas, and asparagus, while I diced the pickles and expanded the sauce by adding more mayonnaise.  I the separated 1 cup of sauce from the artichoke sauce and added a tsp of Swedish mustard (sennap) and 1/3 cup of heavy cream to it to make the sauce.  I diced the asparagus and shrimp and Suzette mixed all the ingredients to make the salad.  We decided to drink the French Chardonnay fro Burgundy that Charlie had given me last Thursday.  I went to the garden and picked some dill and chopped it and added it to the artichoke sauce plus 1 tsp. of capers to differentiate the sauces a bit.



We loved the dinner.  No carbs, lots of flavors.  The combination of French Burgundy with shrimp in a mayonnaise sauce was wonderful.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment