Monday, January 11, 2016

January 11, 2016 Lunch – Beef Noodle Soup, Dinner – PPI Red Cooked Chicken with Stir Fried Bok Choy, Beech Mushrooms, and Water Chestnuts

January 11, 2016 Lunch – Beef Noodle Soup, Dinner – PPI Red Cooked Chicken with Stir Fried Bok Choy, Beech Mushrooms, and Water Chestnuts

I ate no breakfast, so at 11:30 I made a Beef Noodle Soup with the PPI rib steak from last Wednesday night’s meal, some onion, a shallot, some snow peas, some fresh spinach, two sliced white mushrooms, a large Tbsp. of red miso, a beef bouillon cube in about 1 ½ quarts of water and rice stick and egg noodles.  It took about 35 minutes of simmering for all the ingredients to soften and release their flavors into the soup and for the noodles to cook.  I often add tofu, but there was so much PPI beef today I did not feel it necessary to add more protein.

I squeezed lime juice, hoisin sauce and Shiracha into the soup and drank green tea with it.

The pot produced 4 bowls. Two for today and two for later this week.

Suzette did not arrive home until almost six.  I decided to make a stir fried vegetable dish to go with the PPI Red Cooked Chicken.

I sliced and separated two stalks of long Bok Choy, about 4 oz. of yellow onion, four small cloves of garlic and quarter sized piece of ginger, plus about two oz. (1/2 package) of brown beech mushrooms, and opened a small can of sliced water chestnuts.

I stir fried the onions, garlic, ginger, and white stalks of the Bok Choy first for about five minutes, then I added the water chestnuts, a dash of sesame oil, Chinese rice cooking wine and Japanese sweet soy and stir fried the mixture for another two or three minutes.  While the dish was cooking I made a thickening sauce with 1 Tbsp. of cornstarch, 1 Tbsp. of Chinese rice cooking wine, ½ Tbsp. of sweet soy and three Tbsp. of water.  After the mixture had cooked for another three or for minutes I poured in the thickening sauce and stir fried it into the mixture until the liquid began to thicken. We heated the chicken in the microwave and I made 1 ½ cups of Basmati rice flavored with chicken stock and Lilly pods.  I used three cups of water to 1 ½ cups of rice and simmered the rice for thirty minutes or until it is cooked and the water evaporated.

Here are pictures of the finished stir fry dish and the cooked rice.




  Two chicken thighs on rice with the stir fried Bok Choy

I drank green tea with dinner.

After this healthy dinner we ate bowls of Java chocolate ice cream and watched the Antiques Roadshow and the NCAA Championship game between Alabama and Clemson.  Alabama was trickier and luckier and won.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment