Monday, June 29, 2020

June 29, 2020 Lunch – Pork Tomatillo Salsa Enchiladas with Black Beans. Dinner – Grilled Rib Steak and Asparagus with Sautéed Mushrooms and PPI Ratatouille

June 29, 2020 Lunch – Pork Tomatillo Salsa Enchiladas with Black Beans. Dinner – Grilled Rib Steak and Asparagus with Sautéed Mushrooms and PPI Ratatouille

I ate granola, yogurt, and tropical fruit salad for breakfast and then completed my edit of the brief.

I then made Tomatillo Salsa and Pork Enchiladas for lunch.  I heated some Tomatillo Salsa I made several weeks ago in a small skillet with some olive oil and when they were softened slid them into a pasta bowl lightly coated with the same salsa.  Then first layer was chopped BBQ Pork and onions.  The second layer was onions and cheese. The third layer was pork and onions. And, then I grated cheese and added chopped onions on the top.

I baked the enchiladas in a 350 degree oven for twenty minutes.  This is the way my favorite restaurants make individual portions of enchiladas, baking them in the oven.

I fetched the container of black beans from the garage fridge and heated about 1 cup of them with two oz. of onion. When I removed the enchiladas from the oven I ladled the beans around the edge of the pasta bowl.

The enchiladas and black beans were delicious; soft and slightly creamy.

I drank a Killian Red  with the enchiladas, but could only eat ½ of the meal.



After lunch I thawed a rib steak.

At 5:30 Suzette had not arrived and I became hungry, so I ate a few bites of Baba Ghanoush with pieces of toasted pita bread with a gin and tonic.

Suzette arrived at 6:00 and after a cocktail we began dinner.

I sliced about ten mushrooms and snapped 14 asparagus stalks and put them in a freezer bag.  Suzette added olive oil to the asparagus and salted and peppered the steak and then grilled them


I went to the garden and picked 7 or 8 sprigs of thyme and me of tarragon and grabbed two stalks of dried garlic.

When I returned I minced ½ shallot and placed it n the large skillet and added three T. of butter and Suzette added 1 T. of olive oil and added the sliced mushrooms.

While Suzette grilled the asparagus and streakiest sautéed the mushrooms.  After the y softened I added 3 T. of  Amontillado sherry and reduced the heat.

Soon after Suzette brought in the charred steak that was cooked to rare when I sliced it. Then she brought in the asparagus and we microwaved the Ratatouille and I opened the bottle of chilled Chianti and poured us glasses of it.

Suzette plated two plates with Ratatouille and asparagus and we served ourselves slices of steak and  ½ of the mushrooms in sauce.

We watched the Best of the Antiques Roadshow from Philadelphia with its fabulous items and then some of Lawrence O’Donnell and went to bed early after reading Suzette’s lease for treatment rooms at the Spa, which she hopes to re-open soon.

This was the usual great steak dinner with a well grilled steak and lovely thick Asparagus grilled plus delicious sherry flavored mushrooms and a warm Ratatouille salad.

We have decided to chill all wines including reds as the daily temperatures increase.  We are still without cooling on one side of our house but it is the bedroom side so we don’t suffer while cooking and dining.

Today the Supreme Court dealt the Trump Justice zdeanother blow by striking down a Louisiana abortion law fashioned on the Texas abortion law that it struck down previously on the basis of following established precedent (I.e. the prior decision that the Texas abortion law was fatally flawed).

As one commentator stated Chief Justice Roberts who joined the four liberal judges in this decision is a conservative who is also a perfectionist and he will not fashion a conservative result for an imperfectly presented case that is fatally flawed on its face.  The scary thing was that aJustice Kavanaugh joined the dissent after he assured the Senate and specifically, Senator Susan Collins that he believed that Roe v. Wade was established precedent. Apparently he is not as committed to precedent for abortion cases as he indicated.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment