Saturday, March 7, 2020

March 7, 2020 Brunch – Fresh Gravad Lax on Bagel. Snack – Pita Sandwich with Tabouli. Dinner Grilled Rib Steak and Roasted Potatoes, Steamed String Beans, with Sautéed Bell Pepper strips, Onions, and mushrooms

March 7, 2020 Brunch – Fresh Gravad Lax on Bagel. Snack – Pita Sandwich with Tabouli. Dinner Grilled Rib Steak and Roasted Potatoes, Steamed String Beans, with Sautéed Bell Pepper strips, Onions, and mushrooms

I watched PL soccer most of the morning.  There were three matches starting with Liverpool v. Bournemouth, which Liverpool won pretty easily.

At 10:00 after the first match I ended the Gravad Lax cure by washing off the marinade and then drying the two pieces of cured salmon and wrapping them in Saran.  I could not resist the urge to try the cured salmon so I toasted ½ of a bagel and spread it with goat cheese and slices of onion and cured salmon.  It was delicious, soft and not salty. Perfect.





I worked a bit until 4:00 when I decided to eat something before I walked.  I heated a pita on the open gas flame on the stove. It’s two sides came apart easily and I tore it into three wedges and filled each with tabouli for a terrific snack.

I then walked about 1 mile at a steady pace, returning home at 5:00.

I then drove to Smith’s and bought some necessities, milk, sour cream, cream cheese, bagels, bratwursts, and corn beef.

When I returned home Suzette was resting after a long day at work.

She had chopped potatoes and garlic that were roasting in the oven when I arrived.  She then snapped the bag of string beans I bought at Sprouts on Wednesday while I sliced ½ orange bell pepper into strips, cut three ½ inch slices from a small onion, and sliced seven mushrooms.  Suzette started the propane grill heating and grilled the rib steak outside while I sautéed the vegetables.


  I went to the garden and picked about six or seven sprigs of fresh thyme and about ten sprigs of chives.

I plucked and added the approximately 1 tsp. of thyme leaves to the vegetable sauté plus about 2 T. of Amontillado sherry.

I thinly sliced the chives and sprinkled them on the roasted potatoes.

Suzette brought in the steak and we put it with the potatoes in a warm oven and started the green beans steaming for eight minutes.





I picked a 2012 California Zinfandel and Suzette opened it and poured glasses of it. It was a little bitter at first but in a few minutes it smoothed out nicely and went well with the dinner.

 


This dinner was really good; solid reliable ingredients cooked pretty well, except the steak cooked to medium when we put it with the potatoes in the stove.  I loved dinner.



Suzette was tired and went to bed at 9:00.

I stayed up to blog and drink a cup of Earl,Grey tea and a sip of Calvados.

Bon Appetit

When the green beans were ready I sliced the steak and we served

No comments:

Post a Comment