Wednesday, March 4, 2020

March 3, 2020 Brunch – Garcia’s Kitchen Snack – Guacamole Salad at Cocina Azul. Dinner – Cedar Board Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with rice with arugula and steamed asparagus




I woke and watched the Market go through one of the wildest gyrations in a while.  I dropped about 350 points at the open.  Then the federal reserve announced an emergency 50 basis point cur in its open window rate.  That sent the Dow to a 350 point gain momentarily and the yield of 10 year treasuries dropped below 1% for the first time ever.  But then the Dow began to slide and ended up 786 points down for the day. Crazy.

Suzette suggested we go to Garcia’s Kitchen for Mexican food for breakfast.  She and I ordered Huevos Locos with brisket, which is Machaca with corn tortillas, Yo-yo ordered an egg on beans with a flour tortilla and Marty ordered a breakfast burrito.  I liked my machaca. I filled the three corn tortillas with it and ate it as a taco.

Suzette left for work and I drove us to the building at 524 Romero and we visited the visitors’ center.  Then we drove around our area of town some, ending at Palms Trading, where I found Minnetonka moccasins on sale for $36.00.  I found a pair that fit me so I bought them.

We then went to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center and looked at their jewelry and ceramics on sale.

It was after 2:00 so we decided to stop for something to eat.  We stopped at Cocina Azul at the corner of 12th and Mountain Rd.

My concerns ended when our order of Guacamole arrived.  Three scoops of fresh guacamole on a bed of organic greens in a fried flour tortilla bowl. The guacamole bowl was served with chips and small bowls of red salsa and green Chile.  We felt like we had hit the ordering jackpot.



Marty was just okay with his Marble Brewery double white as was I with my Chola Porter.  I said we would go to Marble for one of their other beers sometime.

After we finished or snack at 2:30 we decided to go to the Albuquerque Museum.  We drove the short 6 blocks and parked in front.

We saw all the exhibits except the Jim Henson exhibit.  In the Common Ground permanent collection exhibit I explained about those works that I knew something about which I hope did not bother them.  We then went to the Psychedelic Poster exhibit which was extensive and I discovered that Marty was stationed in the San Francisco area in the early 80’s during his naval service and was familiar with the Haight and the bands the posters advertised.  I was thrilled that he was thrilled.

At 4:00 Suzette called and we realized we needed to move on if we were going to shop for dinner and meet Suzette for wine tasting at Gruet before the Super Tuesday results started being announced.

We drove to Smith’s, where I bought a 2.8 lb. slice of fresh Atlantic Farm raised salmon, my favorite, for $6.99/lb., plus a 12 pack of Negra Modelo, a 1 lb. roll of pork sausage for $2.00, and a dozen eggs for $1.49.

We arrived home at 4:30 and I made teriyaki sauce by heating 1/3 cup each of soy sauce, Aji Mirin, sake, and 1 T. of sugar until the sugar went into solution.  When the teriyaki sauce cooled a bit Marty helped me pour it into a gallon freezer bag in which I had placed the salmon filet.

I put it into the fridge to marinate as Suzette walked in the door at 5:00.

We decided to make cocktails and watch the Super Tuesday returns instead of going to Gruet to do a champagne tasting.

We cut a cedar plank into two pieces and Suzette soaked them in a tub filled to two inches with water.

At 6:30 we began to cook.  Suzette went to the compose pile and picked a colander of baby arugula then stir fried the PPI rice with garlic and ginger in a bit of peanut oil and then added about two cups of  arugula.



Suzette also heated the outdoor propane grill and placed the marinated salmon on the soaked boards and grilled the filet for thirty minutes.  Because the salmon filet was so thick it was barely rare in the middle, still red but able to be flaked, which is exactly the way I like it.

She cut off the ends of a bunch of fresh asparagus and steamed then for 8 to 10 minutes on medium heat and I heated a pitcher of Sake, fetched small tea cups for sake. When the sake began to bubble, I poured glasses of it.



Suzette piled arugula rice on each plate and lay pieces of salmon and asparagus on top.

Everyone liked the lightly teriyaki flavored salmon that was deliciously moist and the fried rice with fresh sautéed arugula.

After dinner Suzette and I heated a six pack of Swedish punchrullar, a outer shell of pistachio flavored marzipan wrapped around a 2 inch roll of rum cake with the ends dipped in chocolate.

I loved dinner and dessert.

Bon Appetit







No comments:

Post a Comment