Monday, October 3, 2016

October 3, 2016 Lunch – Stir Fried PPI Pesto Pasta with Shrimp and Scallops. Dinner – Beef Enchiladas and a Roasted Tomatillo and Chayote Casserole

October 3, 2016  Lunch – Stir Fried PPI Pesto Pasta with Shrimp and Scallops. Dinner – Beef Enchiladas and a Roasted Tomatillo and Chayote Casserole 

I ate yogurt, blueberries and granola for breakfast.

At 11:30 I became hungry. I wanted a quick lunch so I cooked an egg pancake with two medium eggs in peanut and sesame oil and then removed that from the wok.  I then added the 28 oz. of PPI Pesto Pasta with Shrimp and Scallops we cooked last Friday evening to the wok and reheated it.  I then cut the egg pancake int cubes and tossed it with the pasta in the wok. I drank a cup of green tea with my Stir fried pesto pasta for a delicious, quick, hot lunch.


We are leaving town on Friday, so must cook all the ingredients I have bought recently.  Last Wednesday I bought tomatillos, carrots and chayote plus Mexican cottage cheese and tortillas for enchiladas at El Super. I researched a low fat stew with tomatillo, mushrooms, and chayote flavored with chile and lime juice for postpartum depression that sounded perfect for our post party lack of vitality.  

Here is the recipe.



I minced five or six small cloves of garlic, ½ red onion, and two carrots to the recipe and used the fresh chicken stock Suzette had made last week instead of the vegetable broth.  I used an Anaheim green chile instead of a jalapeño and used 1 tsp. of the three chile salsa Suzette made instead of the red pepper flakes. I chopped all the ingredients and tossed them together instead of making cups out of the chayoteF and baked them for 1 ½ hours at 350 degrees.  

I then turned my attention to the enchiladas.  I thawed 1 ½ lb. of hamburger meat at lunch.

At around 6:30 I chopped two medium yellow onions and  8 small cloves of garlic and then sautéed those ingredients in a large skillet with a little of the oil left from sautéing the morcilla sausage Saturday evening.  When the onions had softened a bit I added the hamburger and cooked it until it just turned from red to gray.

I then heated enough chicken stock and ¼ tsp. of Suzette’s red chili salsa in a medium skillet to cover a tortilla and softened six tortillas in the flavored chicken stock and covered the bottom of Pyrex baking dish with them.  Then I added ½ of the onion and hamburger mixture and covered that layer with shredded Parmesan and Romano cheese we had bought at Costco.  I then added another layer of tortillas and asked Suzette to help me finish constructing the dish.  She spooned dabs of the 1 lb. of Mexican cottage cheese (requeson) onto the second layer of tortillas and then covered that with the rest of the onion and hamburger mixture.  I then added the third layer of softened tortillas and covered those with more shredded Parmesan and Romano cheese.  I then added about ½ cup of the remaining chili flavored chicken stock in which I had softened the tortillas to the baking dish with the enchiladas and put the enchiladas into the 350 degree oven with the vegetable stew and baked them both for 50 minutes.  We baked the stew covered with aluminum foil to stew the vegetables in their own juices and the enchiladas uncovered that toasted the cheese on the top to a crisp golden brown.



   The Chayote Tomatillo stew

  The beef enchiladas

Suzette drank a Marble Brewery IPA and I drank an Angry Orchard Apple Cider.

Later I boiled the 8 small artichokes I bought at Trader Joe’s on Saturday.

 Here is how I kept the artichokes submerged

  The artichokes 

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment