Sunday, November 29, 2015

November 28, 2015 Brunch – Gravad Lax Sandwiches, Dinner – Grilled Lamb Chops and Asparagus with Roasted new Potatoes, garlic, and onion

November 28, 2015 Brunch – Gravad Lax Sandwiches, Dinner – Grilled Lamb Chops and Asparagus with Roasted new Potatoes, garlic, and onion

Today Suzette held a garage sale, so at 7:30 I put up signs at the traffic circle at Eight and Central and 15th and Central.  I did not participate directly in all of the sale but did sit for a few minutes intermittently.  At around 9:30 Frank, who used to be the pastry chef at Stephen’s Restaurant, came by with his friend Kay Wheeler as I was making lax sandwiches  with slices of tomato, onion, and lax on cream cheese smeared Bosque Bakery French bread dotted with capers.

Kay and Frank wanted to see the art, so I showed them the art and at 10:30 ate my sandwiches with the first cup of Earl Grey tea I have drunk in several months because I found the box of teas in the basement.

At II:30 we finished the garage sale and I asked Suzette if she wanted lamb chops for dinner.  When she said, “yes.”, I took the bag of five chops out if the freezer.

At 5:30 de-stemmed 12 stalks of asparagus and Suzette washed the rest of the new potatoes.  We decided to roast the potatoes with garlic and onion and squeeze lemon on them and add chopped fresh mint to make a sauce.

I went to the basement and found a bottle of 2012 Famille Perrin Cotes du Rhone reserve (Total Wine $7.99 les 15%, the best red wine value in town in my opinion).  I also found a PPI bottle of 2010 Chateau de Hantiellan haut medoc (Costco $12.99) and brought it up from the cellar.  

 




Suzette’s plan is to clear the garage and basement so we can park our cars in the garage and she can move her sewing equipment to the basement.   And she achieved the first part of that today with the garage sale by identifying which items need to be sold and which donated to charity in the garage.  After the garage sale an older gentleman named Eddie drove up with a dump truck and Suzette paid him $50.00 to remove all the items we did not wish to sell or donate like an old fridge and an old couch and lumber.

After the potatoes and onions were covered and placed in the oven with a bit of water I went to the basement and found the garlic we picked this year and peeled about a dozen cloves and Suzette put them into the potatoes.  

While Suzette grilled the lamb chops and asparagus I fetched a bottle of mint jelly from the fridge and poured glasses of wine.

We squeezed the juice of 1 lemon onto the potatoes and I chopped the mint and we put that on the potatoes and Suzette tossed them in a little olive oil and we were ready to eat.  



We both loved dinner.  Suzette had grilled the lamb perfectly to rare and the lemon mint sauce of the potatoes added enhanced flavor to the lamb.  

We had extra wine and so after dinner I toasted slices of bread and smeared them with Pont L’Eveque cheese from Normandy.

Later I ate Lindt Lindors with Calvados and Suzette ate some of the chocolate dessert I made for the book club with custard and brandy.

We watched football, especially the Oklahoma v. Oklahoma State game and the Stanford v. Notre Dame game.  

Bon Appetit 



No comments:

Post a Comment