Monday, November 16, 2015

November 15, 2015 Brunch – Breakfast Burritos, Dinner – Fish Soup

November 15, 2015 Brunch – Breakfast Burritos,  Dinner – Fish Soup

At 10:00 we made burritos with a smoked pork chop, shallots, eggs, and PPI Barley Casserole wrapped in toasted flour tortillas.

On Friday I went to Sprouts Farm Market and bought Peruvian Sea Scallops ($5.99/lb.) and a 1 lb. piece of Opah ($9.99/lb.).  This the first time I have seen Opah offered in any store in Albuquerque. 
 
An Opah or Moonfish 

I am thrilled to see this fish in the markets.  Because it is a warm blooded fish I think it's flesh has a slightly different flavor.

We decided to make a tomato based fish soup for dinner with the Opah and scallops.  I chopped the one Roma and one cluster tomato we had, three shallots, and the last ripe pimiento pepper from the garden.  Suzette chopped six cloves of garlic and sautéed all the ingredients in a large enameled casserole with butter and olive oil.  She added water and white wine and cooked the ingredients for about ½ hour.  Then she added the diced opah and scallops.  I went to the garden and picked thyme and oregano before going to Ranch Market and she added those herbs to the soup.

At Ranch Market I bought limes, onions, and eggs.  When I returned around 6:00 the soup was ready.  Suzette toasted slices of Fano baguette and I opened a bottle of La Granja Spanish red wine (Trader Joe’s $4.99, 50% Grenache and 50% Tempranillo), which was the perfect light red that Suzette wanted for the meal.  

I threw a few croutons on top of the soup after we ladled it into soup bowls.

The soup was delicious, fully integrated with no one ingredient dominating.  

This is the first time we have made tomato based fish soup, but it will not be the last.

We ate the last of the Bavarian Red semi soft cheese on the two slices of toast left after we finished our soup.

Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment