Saturday, September 26, 2015

September 25, 2015 lunch – Asian Pear Dinner at Globalquerque

September 25, 2015  lunch – Asian Pear  Dinner at Globalquerque

I went with Bill and Sally to lunch at Asian Pear, the Korean restaurant on Central between 5th and 4th that serves a limited menu of well prepared delicious food at reasonable prices.  I had a BBQ Chicken plate with a pile of chicken teriyaki, a pile of Chap Chae (sweet potato starch cellophane noodles tossed in teriyaki sauce and a small salad for $6.99.

After lunch and a bit of work, I went to Gruet to pick up my order of wine.  If you pick up you can substitute wines of your choice for those selected by Gruet.  I selected two G25 Blanc de Blancs, a 2010 Vintage. Blanc de Blanc, a sausage brut, and a still rose of Chenin blanc and pinot noir.  Thank goodness Chenin blanc and pinot noir are both our favorite grapes and Laurent Gruet’s favorite grapes.  That fact and tasting the new Gruet rose this year convinced me to join its wine club.  When I returned home I put the bottle of rose in the fridge to chill for dinner.

At 5:00 Suzette called from somewhere on I-25 between Santa Rosa and Albuquerque. I stopped work and began fixing sandwiches.  I sliced pieces of the fresh Fano baguette and toasted them.  I spread butter on some and then duck foie gras and placed slices of brie cheese on them.  The others I spread mayonnaise on and the lay slices of Lebanon sweet Bologna, Irish cheddar cheese and thinly sliced onion and a smear of Bavarian sweet mustard between the Bologna and cheese.

When Suzette arrived around 5:30 I wrapped the sandwiches and we put them into a Mexican basket and filled a water bottle with rose wine and ice and went to Globalquerque a bit after 6:00.

The variety and quality of music this year was just as good as always.  I was amazed by three performers in particular; Nano Stern a sort of folk singer and rock musician from Chile with a voice that sometimes seems to channel Joni Mitchell, Jane Harjo who is a poet and singer/song writer and Indian, who plays the sax and carries one a tradition I never even knew existed of Indian jazz saxophone musicians from Muskogee, Oklahoma, and a singer and guitar player from Tunisia with a huge voice, who we will see Saturday evening in the Disney Theater with better acoustics and hopefully without a blown keyboard.

We stayed until 11:00 and saw Cynthia and Ricardo, who dance much of the time, which makes watching the acts more fun.

Suzette liked the Bologna sandwiches best, perhaps because they were a little more complex with the added slices of onion.

Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment