Thursday, March 19, 2015

March 19, 2015 Lunch Azuma New Recipe Dinner Poached Little Neck clams in pasta and asparagus

March 19, 2015  Lunch Azuma   New Recipe Dinner Poached Little Neck clams in pasta and asparagus

I went to lunch with Suzette today at Azuma.  We ordered Chirashi Donburi (boxes filled with 12 pieces of seafood laid on a bed of sushi rice, $14.95).  I always order the same items: 2 pieces each of salmon, octopus, aji tuna and ultra white tuna and 4 pieces of yellow tail.  Suzette also ordered a hand held roll of unagi rolled in a piece of toasted nori ($5.75).

After lunch I drove to Albertson’s and went to the Butcher’s Block for the weekly special of jumbo 16 to 20 count shrimp for $6.99/lb.  When I arrived at the Butcher Block I saw one of my favorite items mahogany clams for the unbelievably low price of $1.99/lb. I have bought these clams before and they are wonderful.  About two inches across, the clam inside is about to 1 to 1 1/2 inches across and makes a perfect bite full of rich clam meat.

We were not hungry but finally at around 7:15 I asked if we could cook the clams and Suzette agreed, perhaps because it was a wet cool evening.  We thought about just cooking then for a PPI for tomorrow night but I was getting hungry and I asked if we could cook some spaghetti to add to the clams.  We looked for stock and I found about 24 oz. of the over salted leek and potato broth I had made two weeks ago.  We added to it 8 oz. of butter, a cup of white wine and about 1 Tbsp. of roasted garlic preserved in olive oil.  Suzette heated this poaching medium and put in the clams, while I started boiling water for the spaghetti.
  
When the water boiled I broke about 1/3 lb. of spaghetti into thirds and put that into the boiling water for about ten minutes.  I then snapped the ends off 6 or seven stalks of asparagus and cut them into 1 inch sections and put them into the poaching broth after most of the clams had opened and been removed. 

I ran to the basement and fetched a bottle of Concannon Sauvignon Blanc from California and put it into the freezer to chill.  After another five minutes we drained the spaghetti and put it into the poaching medium, which had now become our main dish.  After the clams were all shucked and the spaghetti had cooked about five more minutes in the medium, we added the clams back, added ½ cup of heavy cream to thicken and give the soup a milky flavor and cooked the soup for a minute. 
Suzette sliced 6 pieces of French baguette and toasted them.  I poured the wine and we were ready to eat.  We filled pasta bowls with the clam, spaghetti, and asparagus soup/stew.

the one pot dinner



Hot clam broth is one of my favorite accompaniments for fresh poached clams and this dish had the light clam broth flavor and milky texture I love, while also having threads of spaghetti and pieces of asparagus floating around in the milk and broth soup.  We dipped toasted baguette into the soup and sipped white wine and had a great meal. 

On nights when we do not like to cook an elaborate dinner, it is fun to fix a simple one pot dinner.  Tonight’s meal was the perfect answer to that urge toward simplicity while still enjoying the richness of fresh clams.


Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment