Tuesday, November 11, 2014

November 10, 2014 New Recipe Man on a Raft Egg sandwich Dinner Poached Fiji Saddleback red snapper with onions, garlic, tomato and asparagus over rice

I got hungry around 9:30 so I made myself one of the dishes from my childhood, man on a raft.  This literally is an egg cooked on a piece of toast.  I buttered a pan using the PPI butter and lemon dipping sauce from Friday night's clam dinner.  I toasted one side of the bread then turned it over and laid an egg in the small hole I had made in the bread and laid slices of salami on the egg and cooked them until the egg firmed and the bread became toasted.

 

For lunch I ate the PPI short ribs on the baked rice from last night.

For dinner Suzette decided to poach the red snapper filets in a covered skillet with onion, tomato and garlic with white wine.  After a few minutes I de-stemmed and chopped a handful of asparagus into sections and added them to the poaching medium.  

fish and asparagus in poaching medium
We then heated up the PPI black ink pasta from Debbie’s Saturday night’s meal and served the fish filets over the pasta.  The poaching medium made a sauce that flavored and loosened up the pasta (i.e. made it less gummy), which I liked.  We opened the bottle of Dry Creek’s Dry Chenin Blanc I had bought at Jubilation on Saturday for $11.99.  The wine was nearly bone dry with just a hint of fruity sweetness, which I liked but Suzette found a bit dry for the fish dish.  She said it would have been better with a cream sauce.  We will need to try to do that soon.


We both found the fish to be a little pulpy and lacking that incredible tensile firmness and flakiness of really fresh fish, like the red snapper one gets on the beach in Mexico.  Suzette said the fish would have been better fried, which would have added firmness.  

This was a one pot meal because we used the PPI pasta, so it was a quick and delicious meal.


Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment