Sunday, January 5, 2014

January 4, 2014 Sautéed Scallops with a lobster cream sauce over gnocchi with asparagus

January 4, 2014 Sautéed Scallops with a lobster cream sauce over gnocchi with asparagus

Today, I decided that I wanted scallops with asparagus so we went to Costco and bought 1.4 lbs. of scallops for $15.99/lb.  Unfortunately they were repackaged from one of the frozen scallops that are sold in 2 lb. bags and they lacked the flavor of fresh scallops, but we did not determine that until we cooked and at them for dinner.  We also bought fresh asparagus ($6.99 for 2.25 lbs.) and butter lettuce and romaine lettuce for Cesar salads and scotch for Suzette.

When we returned home, Suzette sautéed the scallops in butter and olive oil and two thinly sliced green onions, while I made a cream sauce with three Tbsps. butter and two tablespoons of flour and we stirred in about 1 cup of lobster broth and then seasoned the sauce with salt and pepper and I picked and chopped a few sprigs of thyme and garlic greens from the garden.  I splashed 2 Tbsps. of amontillado sherry into the sauce to give it a bit more flavor. 

Suzette steamed about fifteen stalks of asparagus and we cooked the remaining one-half bag of gnocchi in a pot of boiling water.

Dinner was simple.  The fresh asparagus with the delicious cream sauce was the best part of the meal.  I finely chopped four or five stalks of chives and sprinkled them on the top of the sauce to give the dish a little color and onion flavor.







It seems that when you change your diet and begin using new and different ingredients it changes all of the flavor relationships and you must also adjust your taste to the new regime
We drank the St. Martin Sauvignon Blanc again and it was better with this dish but everything about this dinner shouted “lack of flavor” to me perhaps because I took an anti-biotic before dinner and it left a weird taste in my mouth or because I am recovering from the sinus infection I have and lack taste.

I hope things change soon.  I think I want to roast a duck and make a l’orange sauce tomorrow evening or grill a steak and make a béarnaise sauce to see if I can rekindle my taste.

Bon Appétit




  

No comments:

Post a Comment