Friday, January 31, 2014

January 3, 2014 Dinner – Ham, Broccoli and Pineapple casserole

January 3, 2014 Dinner – Ham, Broccoli and Pineapple casserole

We are in the midst of using up PPI from Christmas and developing new low cal low carb recipes.  I bought a couple of pounds of broccoli at Pro’s Ranch Market on Thursday ($.69/lb.).  Tonight we decided to use some of the burnt ham to make a casserole.

I combined in a ceramic casserole baking dish one medium onion diced, two pounds of broccoli and one pound of cooked ham and ½ cup of fresh pineapple, diced into small bite sized pieces.  Suzette then reconstituted her red eye gravy from Christmas and poured it over the ingredients and we sprinkled the top with a handful of grated mozzarella cheese and baked the whole affair for about 30 minutes to heat it.  The sauce was not thick enough to bind the ingredients into a homogeneous whole, so the total effect was less than perfect.  It will be better upon re-heating, possibly over pasta.

I have not given up on carbs.  They are what keep my body charged up and I cannot eliminate them from my diet. 

We drank St. Martin French pays d’ oc Sauvignon Blanc with the meal and ate Susan Palmer's Cranberry Lime Salsa made using my Mother's recipe.



A less than successful first attempt at a carbless diet.  Perhaps a step too far for my taste but a sort of interesting Hawaiian Broccoli casserole.

Bon Appétit.     

No comments:

Post a Comment