Friday, September 27, 2013

September 26, 2013 New Recipe - Scampi with orrechiette pasta, onion, Japanese peppers and green beans in a pesto white wine sauce

September 26, 2013 New Recipe - Scampi with orrechiette pasta, onion, Japanese peppers and green beans in a pesto white wine sauce

This was a fabulous new recipe Suzette made. I looked for scallops in the freezer and only found large 16-20 count shrimp, so I thawed them out. When Suzette came home we met with the Five Day Kitchen remodeling crew and then at 5:15, when they left, I mentioned that I had time to eat before I had to leave for book club at 6:40. I showed Suzette the shrimp and mentioned that we could make them with the PPI pasta in pesto sauce. We could not find the pasta in pesto sauce so I mentioned that we had frozen fresh orrechiette pasta that we had made a few weeks ago. Suzette said she would make a dish with the shrimp. While I peeled and deeply deveined the 16 large shrimp so their top and sides would pop open when sautéed, Suzette went to the garden and picked several of the long, skinny, sweet Japanese peppers we grew this year and thinly sliced 2 Tbsp. of yellow onion and snapped the ends off and then chopped into 1 inch pieces a handful of green beans and the peppers into ¼ inch long pieces.

When I brought in the shrimp, the onion and chiles were already sautéing in a large skillet with butter and olive oil. Then Suzette added the string bean pieces and asked me to peel and press some garlic into the skillet. I peeled 4 small cloves of garlic from our garden and pressed it into the sauté pan. Then Suzette asked for some white wine and the only white wine we had for cooking was an PPI bottle of almond champagne that had turned flat and tasted like sherry (bad to drink, great to cook with), so we added it (about 1/3 cup) to the skillet. Suzette then added about three Tbsp. of her homemade pesto to the sauce and we boiled the orrechiette in a separate pot. Suzette thought the sauce was too thick so she added some water to thin it and then added the shrimp. I opened a newly purchased bottle of 2012 Le Pont Bandol rosé from Lauris, France (Appellation Controlle Bandol). Bandol is one of the most famous rosé producing areas in France. I bought the 2012 Le Pont Rosé at Total Wine using a 15% off coupon for purchases of over $100.00 and its regular mix six Dollar-Off discount, which reduced it from its regular price of $17.99 to $15.33; a wonderful bargain for this wine. But the bargain is in the tasting and when Suzette and I opened it and drank it with the sautéed shrimp in pesto sauce, not only did its steely gray pink color match the color of the shrimp but its tannins, elegantly reserved fruit, and minerality complemented the rich buttery shrimp and pesto sauce. I loved the great dish Suzette had fixed.

 

We cut the orrechiette and shrimp in half to allow the thicker parts of the pasta to soften by coming into contact with the warm sauce. At 6:40 I grabbed a bottle of Bougrier Chenin Blanc, also bought at Total Wine as part of the 8 bottle lot of wine in which I bought the three Bandol Roses and five Bougrier Chenin Blancs (the 2011 Bougrier Chenin Blanc regularly sells for $8.99 but, with the discount, cost $7.66) and ran outside to meet Charles palmer to go to Book Club.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment