Thursday, March 7, 2013

March 6, 2013 Dinner – Tarragon Roasted Chicken with Fried Rice

March 6, 2013 Dinner – Tarragon Roasted Chicken with Fried Rice

Last night we just heatd up the PPI Seafood pasta from Sunday night and went to bed early.

Today Suzette had a 5:30 p.m. appointment and was due home late and Willy stayed at home sick with something like the flu, so I did not feel like cooking a big meal and asked Suzette to bring home a roasted chicken.  We often eat a chicken roasted at the Greenhouse Bistro and Bakery on Wednesdays because I go to meditation and cannot cook dinner.
This Wednesday I was separated from my meditation cushions due to the truck being in the shop, so I did not meditate.  Suzette said she would not be home until around 7:30 p.m., so after riding ten miles I sat with Willy and watched part of “Bourne Supremacy” until around 6:30 p.m. when I thought about making a tomato cous cous for the chicken.  When I went to the fridge I saw that we had PPI boiled rice, so I decided to make Mediterranean fried rice using fresh sugar snap peas, tomatoes and beautiful parsley and baby green onions, a sort of Green Rice.
So at around 7:00 p.m., I chopped up one Roma tomato and about 1/2 cup of Italian broadleaf parsley, sliced two small green onions and de-stemmed 2 cups of sugar snap peas.  I put the parsley, onion and tomato in one bowl and the sugar snap peas in another bowl.
I cut two pieces of baguette and put them in aluminum foil and then into a 350˚ oven at around 7:15p.m.
Suzette arrived right at 7:30 p.m. carrying a freshly roasted chicken roasted with fresh tarragon that she had picked from her garden at the Center for Ageless Living in Los Lunas in the afternoon.
After she checked Willy’s condition and determined that he had a fever of 104˚ and we discussed what could be done to assist his recovery for a few minutes, I went to the kitchen and put two tsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. of California extra virgin olive oil from Trader Joe’s (new crop $5.99) into a large skillet and heated it and Suzette came in and took over the skillet while I ran to the basement to fetch a bottle of La Montanana Spanish Viura wine($4.99 Trader Joe’s), which I like with chicken.  Then I heated the chicken in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to warm it.
Suzette put the 1 pint container of rice into the skillet and then the parsley, onion and tomatoes and sautéed them for about ten minutes, while I steamed the sugar snap peas for 8 minutes until they were soft.  Then Suzette put the sugar snap peas into the skillet with the rice and other vegetables and tossed them to coat them with the oil and butter and to mix their flavors for another two minutes.  Then we were ready to eat, so I uncorked the wine and poured glasses of it.  Then I separated the thigh quarters from the chicken and put one on each plate and we each served ourselves the rice and vegetable medley.  The color combination of white rice, red tomato and green parsley and green onion was lovely.
The roasted tarragon chicken was delicious because we did not have to prep and cook it, although it was a small bird and a little tough and the wine was a little oxidized, so the meal was not completely enjoyable; perhaps also because we were worried about Willy’s condition. 
I had heated one of the pieces of baguette for Willy, but he was too sick to eat anything.  We discussed that if his temperature did not improve by tomorrow I would take him to be examined by a doctor.
Recently I have seen the "New York Times" writer named Morris being interviewed on T.V. several times discussing his new book, titled Salt, Fat, Sugar, so now I am trying to wean myself from sugar and fat and salt.  This will invariably alter my consumption of candy and may alter the trajectory of my cooking, for which I apologize in advance to those who enjoy those ingredients, but hopefully please those who have also become mindful of the deleterious effect of those ingredients in large quantities on our health.
Morris’ strongest criticism seems to be targeted at the prepared food industry that puts harmful amounts of these ingredients into many prepared foods because they are cheaper than other ingredients and have a tendency to get us addicted to them.  His stories about food companies’ experiments to see what quantities will taste the best and make us want to eat more of the their fat, sweetened and salty foods are chilling.
I like to think that the way we cook bypasses most of the prepared food industries’ products. For example, we debated at Costco the other day whether to buy a jar of sundried tomatoes, mainly because it was priced at $8.75, but also because it was a prepared food.
It is our intent to eat homemade, fresh healthy food and, which is really possible in the summer when we cook with fresh ingredients harvested from our garden.
Last Saturday we planted oriental turnips, radishes, mustard greens, and radicchio in two of our raised beds and covered them with plastic sheeting.  Then on Monday evening we planted one of our 8 triangles in the old garden with two types of peas and covered it with plastic.  We have also started watering our yard and gardens, so the miracle of growing our own fresh food will start soon.
Only a few signs of growth so far (a sprig of wintered over parsley and fennel), but every day we go out to the patch of asparagus we planted last year to look for new sprouts.
Suzette says her tarragon is already a foot high in Los Lunas, thus the fresh herbed chicken tonight; so hopefully there will soon be many lovely meals cooked with our fresh ingredients to write about.
Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment