Saturday, March 2, 2013

March 1, 2013 Lunch – El Portal; Dinner – Sautéed Rib Steak and Fava Beans with Chinese Broccoli and Baked Sweet Potato

March 1, 2013 Lunch – Monica's El Portal; Dinner – Sautéed Rib Steak and Fava Beans with Chinese Broccoli and Baked Sweet Potato

Suzette drove to Santa Rosa yesterday and I went to Book Club, so no dinner was cooked.
Today Mohan Johal came into town, so I went to lunch with him and Nizar at Monica's El Portal on Rio Grande Blvd. because he wanted to eat Mexican food at a family style restaurant.  When we walked through the portal (covered patio) and into the converted house, we were immediately greeted by the owner and told to seat ourselves.  We walked into one of a series of connected rooms and sat down next to a table with an older Hispanic couple were seated, so we felt right at home.
Our waitress came by to take our drink order and hand us menus.  Mohan wanted to try a local beer and he ordered a green chili beer.  The menu was extensive but not overly extensive.  I usually try enchiladas at a new restaurant and immediately saw the Lunch Specials in the lower right corner and that on Fridays the Special was flat chicken enchiladas, which I love.  Mohan loves fajitas, so after the waitress served our drinks and was ready to take our food order, Mohan ordered chicken fajitas and Nizar and I chose the chicken enchiladas.  I loved it when the waitress told us, “We are serving the enchiladas with cheese for Lent, if you wish.”  I guess one can never be too careful or courteous even when serving two East Indians, one a Sikh, the other a Muslim and a Texas Jew boy.
The enchiladas were delicious, not too much cheese with good sticky rice and thick refried beans and an adequate amount of onions and extra garnish with red chili sauce.  Lovely, like a well prepared and plated French dish with an appealing mix of colors. 
After lunch we discussed our California property and then at 4:45 p.m. I rode ten miles to Montano into a strong headwind out of the north and an easy return trip.
I did not return home until 6:00 p.m.  At 6:30 p.m. Suzette called to tell me she was just leaving Santa Rosa.  So at 7:30 I began chopping up about three cups of Chinese Broccoli, separating the leaves from the stalks, 4 cloves of garlic, about 1 ½ Tbsp. ginger root, ¼ cup of onion, and sliced 2 shitake mushrooms for the stir fry. 
Suzette arrived a little after 8:00 and announced that she was too tired to cook, so I took the PPI baked sweet potato and the thawed rib steak from the fridge.  I salted and peppered the steak and fetched the bag of dried thyme and a bottle of 2009 Pennywise Pinot Noir (Costco $8.47) from the basement and uncorked the wine. 
Then I heated the wok and put 2 Tbsp. of peanut oil in the wok. When the oil began to smoke I threw in the broccoli stalks, onion, garlic and ginger and stir fried them until soft.  At the same time I heated about 1 Tbsp. of butter in another large skillet and threw in 2 halved cloves of garlic and leaves from 3 dried sprigs of thyme.  When the Butter started to sizzle, I put the steak in.  It looked a little lonely in the skillet with all that space of browned butter around it so I went to the fridge and found the tub of fresh fava beans we had shucked the other day and Suzette agreed that it was a good idea to sauté them with the steak and garlic butter, so I scattered them around the steak in the skillet.
I then put the broccoli leaves and the shitake mushroom slices into the wok and poured in 2 Tbsp. of Chinese rice cooking wine and a dash of sesame oil and covered the wok and turned down the heat a bit, so the vegetables would steam.
I heated up the sweet potato again and turned the steak over and stirred the broccoli.  After about five more minutes we cut into the steak and it was medium on one end and rare at the other end nearest to a thicker part of the bone, so we declared dinner “Ready”

I cut the steak into slices and poured the wine and plated up some slices of steak for each of us.  Suzette sliced the potato into two halves lengthwise and we each took a scoop of two of broccoli. 



Shortly after we took a picture of the dinner plates and sat down to eat, Willy came home and grabbed a plate and we redistributed the fava beans and sweet potato and ate a lovely meal and watched “Idoicracy”.

After dinner I sipped a glass of Calvados and ate a few chocolate covered raisins and then, happily stuffed, went to bed.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment