Friday, January 20, 2017

January 19, 2017 Lunch – Vietnamese Pho Miso Noodle Soup with shrimp, fish cakes and spinach. Dinner – PPI Thai Chicken Massaman Curry

January 19, 2017 Lunch – Vietnamese Pho Miso Noodle Soup with shrimp, fish cakes and spinach. Dinner – PPI Thai Chicken Massaman Curry

For breakfast I ate fruit salad, with granola, vitamin powder, yogurt and a dash of milk.  There are two interesting things I noticed about this breakfast; the ability of fruit to stay fresh for long periods of time when refrigerated.  For example, the pineapple was bought before Christmas and used in the mulled wine.  The rest of the cut up pineapple is still fresh and delicious in this salad although it has shed someone its juice and lost some tensile strength.  The other interesting thing is the rapid conversion of whole milk into a soft yogurt when combined with yogurt.  It and the other ingredients of the salad congeal into a soft mass instead of their different elements remaining separate.

The morning was spent mostly on VinDacia stuff.  I had a teleconference with Aaron and a securities attorney and reviewed and edited the head of terms agreement for the purchase of a Romanian winery.

For lunch I made my usual Pho and miso soup with rice, wheat and mung bean thread noodles.  Today I added dehydrated fish stock(dashi), shrimp, and fish balls to the regular miso ingredients of tofu, green onion, and  seaweed, and added some spinach and the PPI roasted purple carrots from Common Fire in Taos.

After eating two bowls of soup and I felt like a new man.  I like to eat soup for lunch before I ride my bike because it seems to hydrate my body, which aids me in riding my bike.  I wanted to ride at 3:00 but was delayed until 4:00 by a revision of a letter.  The temp was 49 degrees so I wore gloves and long leggings and was quite comfortable, but the wind was gusting a bit and changing direction, so it seemed to be an issue going north and south.

I returned home at 4:30 after a shortened ride, showered, and dressed. Suzette asked about my schedule and I said I would be ready by 5:00 and would like to eat some curry before we left for the Museum.  Suzette heated and we ate PPI Chicken Massaman Curry with roasted peanuts and split a Lefftes beer and drove to the museum at 5:20.

There was a full evening of activities at the museum that we enjoyed.  After we obtained our ticket for the Fusion Theater’s presentation of Altitude Sickness by D. H. Lawrence for 7:00, we toured the new block print exhibit and an exhibit on the Jewish community in New Mexico in the 20th century, observed the printing demonstration, and each made a block print by tracing the lines of a print affixed to an inked sheet of glass that created a reverse image of the traced lines by lifting ink from the inked glass where pressed by a sharpened pencil.

Suzette made a wonderful Women Power image and I made a half hearted effort to copy a scene of the Taos Plaza in the 1920s.

After our print making we each had a Negra Modelo and shared a bowl of salty snacks.  At 7:00 the auditorium doors were opened and folks filled the seats.  The seats in the auditorium were rather uncomfortable and tightly bunched against one another so I moved to an open seat at the end of the row in front of our row and was able to shift my position and give Suzette the ability to do the same using my emptied seat.  Suzette liked the presentation but I was tired and sore from riding and missed much of the nuanced dialogue.  The high points of the 20’s and 30’s in Taos in the play were Mabel Dodge’s narcissism and the love triangle between D.H. Lawrence, his German wife, Frieda, and Dorothy Brett, who was a painter, also British, and infatuated with Lawrence.

I recently finished reading the catalog for Mabel Dodge Luhan and Company edited by Lois Rudnick and Malan Powell, which mentioned the bent toward free love and open relationships at Mabel’s Taos compound, so that was no surprise and neither was Mabel’s narcissism.

We went to bed shortly after we returned home at 8:30 after a rather full day if activity.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment