Sunday, August 24, 2014

August 23, 2014 New Recipe: Stir fried fresh udon noodles with cabbage, purslane, pork, red onion, garlic, and mushrooms and Dinner Eggplant in Garlic Sauce with purslane

I slept-in today.  Suzette left around 9:30 for a full day at the Center of Walfflemania for brunch, Lunch on the lawn with music by Los Radiators and hamburgers and hot dogs, and a Spa Day featuring the introduction of a new product line.

I had a distinctly quite day.  I lay in bed and finished Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwen, my Last Thursday Book Club selection for this month and the article I have been enjoying in the August 4, 2014 issue of New Yorker about a Lawrence Livermore physicist’s machine that captures the sound from old recordings by scanning their grooves with a computer without playing them with a stylus, which can destroy the recording.  He has made it possible to play the oldest recordings ever made, such as the French inventor of recorded sound, Martindale-Scott’s recording of songs on soot covered cylinders made in  1860 and Alexander Graham Bell’s first spoken works from the 1870’s plus all the old Edison cylinder recordings and the old acetate recordings at the Smithsonian Museum.

Finally at 11:00, after a few moments of not being able to find my wallet, I sat down and meditated about where it could be and got the thought that it was in the car, so I went to the car and found it lodged in the seat well on the outside of the passenger's seat.  I then vaguely remembered throwing it onto the passenger's seat yesterday after lunch.  I guess Suzette pushed it off the set when she sat in the passenger's seat last night when we went to the Shell Club meeting.

I then returned Sweet Tooth to the library, went to the bank and to Birdland to discuss improvements to increase security with Jay, who has been broken into twice recently (I am the kind of landlord who believes that if the tenant has a problem, the landlord has a problem).  Then I drove to Sprouts because I wanted to try making a stir fried udon noodle dish for lunch with the fresh udon noodles we bought at Costco last week.  Sprouts was full of shoppers.  I found a nice 2/3 lb. pork porterhouse chop (2.99/lb.) and then again asked a produce man to fetch more fresh corn and took 6 ears this time (4 ears /$1.00).  I then picked about 1/3 pound of green beans ($.1.50/lb.) and about the same amount of Brussels Sprouts($1.99/lb.).

I arrive at home around 2:00 and, following the recipe on the bag of noodles, shredded ½ lb. of green cabbage, a couple of cloves of garlic, 1 tsp. of fresh ginger, 1 Tbsps. of red onion, and ¼ lb. of pork, some purslane  and 1 large white mushroom.  I first heated about 2 tsps. of sesame oil, 1 tsp. of chili pepper flavored sesame oil, and ½ Tbsp. of peanut oil in the wok.  Then I stir fried the cabbage, ginger and onion for about five minutes.  I then added the diced mushroom and garlic to the wok after another couple of minutes added the udon noodles.  After a minute of cooking I drizzled about 1 Tbsp. of dark soy, 1 Tbsp. of Chinese rice cooking wine, 1 Tbsp. of Aji Mirin, and ½ Tbsp. of Sweet soy to the noodles to try to replicate the seasoning described in my Japanese Cook Book, Japanese Cooking, a Simple Art.




Suzette came home around 3:30 p.m. and we unloaded the steel pipes that will be used to raise the trampoline to make it into a canopy for another seating area and inspected the progress of the new fence being built by Mario to extend the back yard to include an orchard area. Then I rode to Rio Bravo while she rested until 5:00.  I showered and then called Charles’ Place, which did not answer and Los Poblanos, which was full.  I made a reservation on Open Table at Los Poblanos for next Friday night for Suzette’s Birthday dinner.  I asked Suzette what she wanted to do and she said she was tired and did not want to go out, so we discussed dinner.  I suggested that we make her favorite Chinese dish, Eggplant in Garlic Sauce with the fresh Ichiban eggplant from our garden and the fresh pork to which she agreed.
 
So, around 7:00 I made 1 cup of rice.  Then I sat on the stoop of our back door porch and picked a basket full of purslane growing beside it and Suzette and I picked off the clean larger leaves and threw the rest away, yielding about 1 cup of fresh purslane leaves.  With about five minutes left to simmer, we added ½ cup of purslane leaves to the rice.

Eggplant with Garlic Sauce.

the Sauce:
1 Tbsp. double dark soy sauce
2 tsp. Oyster Sauce
1 tsp. white rice wine vinegar
½ tsp. Shaoxing wine
½ tsp. pepper flakes from hot oil (we reduce this to avoid making the dish too spicy)
½ tsp. of cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp. of chicken stock

Then I started slicing the large 1 1/2 lb. ichiban eggplant into 2 inch julienne slices and then chopped up about ten small cloves of fresh garlic from our garden that Suzette brought me, while Suzette combined the liquid ingredients for the sauce.  I then removed the pork from its bone and removed the fat and white skin and sliced it (I should have halved the ½ inch chop and made threads instead of slices) ending up with about ½ lb. of pork slices.

Suzette started stir frying the eggplant slices in peanut oil to soften and cook them. Then she stir fried the pork and garlic and added the eggplant slices back to the wok and after a minute or two of stir frying, made a well in the center and added the other ½ cup of purslane  and the sauce.  After another minute the dish was ready.  Suzette made a special effort to not overcook the dish so it would retain as much freshness as possible.


Suzette Stir Frying before adding sauce


We loved the purslane dotted rice with the fresh eggplant in garlic sauce.  We both agreed that the fresh eggplant from the garden had a firmer, more meaty flavor that complemented the fresh pork texture particularly well.  It is always more fun to cook with fresh ingredients from one’s own garden and this meal was no exception. I drank a black and tan made with Mike Campbell’s great bock beer and a Modelo Especial pilsner.  

We ate under the gazebo looking at our pond and fountain listening to the evening's symphony of sounds.  Suzette decided the solar lighting illuminated the pond and fountain sufficiently, so we decided to move the four original low voltage lights to the orchard area or the new gazebo we were making by raising the trampoline.


Bon Appétit 

No comments:

Post a Comment