Sunday, September 18, 2022

September 18, 2022 Breakfast - BLTSandwiches Lunch - Charcuterie Sandwiches. Dinner - Cedar Plank Grilled Teriyaki Salmon, Rice, and Seaweed Salad

September 18, 2022 Breakfast - BLTSandwiches  Lunch - Charcuterie Sandwiches. Dinner - Cedar Plank Grilled Teriyaki Salmon, Rice, and Seaweed Salad


Today we had lovely simple food and an amazing wildlife experience.


I watched the news and soccer (Arsenal held its first place position in the PL) from 6:00 until 10:00.


Suzette worked in the garden, watering and picking tomatoes.


At 8:30 Suzette made us Bacon, fried egg, Lettuce, Tomato sandwiches on whole wheat sandwich bread spread with freshly made Basil Mayonnaise with a small pile of fresh cantaloupe cubes.







We both drank glasses of Clamato juice, mine with lime juice and Suzette’s with vodka, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce (a Bloody Mary).


I then showered and dressed and we drove to the south end of the southern duck pond where there was easy access to the path to the blind on the southern pond in the Bosque.


I walked slowly to the blind where two young men were fishing.


Soon after we arrived we saw an Osprey fly down from a tree and try to catch a fish with its talons.  He missed and flew back up into a tree and repeated this fishing routine several times before flying away.


We had never seen an Osprey before.  I count this as one of the most momentous nature experiences of my life.


The Osprey was huge with a wing span of about 6 feet from wing tip to wing tip.


When we returned home I was tired and my muscles were sore, perhaps because I had not eaten. I sliced and toasted two slices of French baguette and spread them with basil mayonnaise.  I then lay slices of thinly sliced red onion cured ham and prosciutto and lettuce.  I added Moroccan dried olives and slices of dill pickles and opened a bottle of chilled Heineken beer and at a lovely lunch at 1:30. I then flipped the salmon in the freezer bag half submerged in teriyaki marinade in the meat drawer of the fridge.




After lunch I lay down and rested until 5:30 when Suzette wanted to start dinner.  Suzette Cut and soaked cedar planks of a size to accommodate the large salmon filets we had marinated.


I made a cup of rice with added dried lily bids and chopped seaweed.


I then made a gin and tonic and sat down to watch football and ySuzette took over the grilling of the salmon when the rice was almost done. 


Suzette fetched the new bag of Korean seaweed salad we bought at Costco.


When the salmon was grilled to perfect medium rare, Suzette brought it in and plated 6 oz. Portions on a pile of rice with a pile of seaweed salad on the side.


This one of our favorite dinners.


Suzette drank water with dinner and I made a cup of Chinese Green tea.


After dinner we watched, the Marrakech episode of “Who is feeding Phil”. My favorite scene is a rooftop dinner with a Berber family in the Atlas Mountains on the edge of a deep gorge with a breathtaking view of the mountains.


After Phil we watched Aaron Rogers and Green Bay smash the Chicago Bears and after Suzette went to bed I watched the new Ken Burns series titled “America and the Holocaust”.  Apparently the Nazis modeled their Jewish laws on the Jim Crow laws of the American South.


I later drank a cup of chai and ate a few biscochitos.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment