Thursday, August 22, 2013

August 21, 2013 Dinner – Fried Fresh Sardines with Cassarecca Pasta with Sautéed Purslane and Mushrooms

August 21, 2013 Dinner – Fried Fresh Sardines with Cassarecca Pasta with Sautéed Purslane and Mushrooms

I picked Harry up at 8:20 and we went to the IRS Headquarters on Montgomery for my tax audit.
My auditor, Nicole, was very business-like, but very pleasant, if that word can be associated with a tax audit by the IRS.  The result was that I did not owe any additional tax, which made me so happy I took the rest of the day off and made a pot of Vietnamese noodle soup with the beef Kabab from the Souder/Graf’s garden party Sunday evening and some Vietnamese beef balls, sugar snap peas, an onion, a yellow crock neck squash, a large Tbsp. each of pho flavoring and brown miso, two sliced mushrooms and four sliced okras and Vietnamese rice vermicelli and watched Chelsea v. Aston Villa with Willy.  When the match finished the Pro Challenge bike race from Colorado came on and I watched it.  It was almost a repeat of the last Saturday of the Tour de France this summer, but with a flat finish;  Jentz Voigt went out on an attach from the lead group with about 10 miles to go and the peleton caught him within three kms. of the finish and Peter Sagan won the sprint finish.

Then I worked some and took a bike ride at 5:30 p.m.

For dinner I wanted to fry the fresh sardines I had bought at Ta Lin ($1.69/lb.) on Tuesday and do something with mushrooms, because we still had the chanterelles and porcinis, we bought in Taos last weekend.  I looked in several cookbooks and finally found a sautéed mushroom recipe in José Andrés’ “Tapas” Cookbook that looked good.



 
When Suzette got home around 8:00 p.m. she suggested that we make pasta to go with the mushrooms and fish.  So she started a pot of water boiling.  I cleaned and removed the heads from the sardines.
Suzette went to our driveway and picked a handful of purslane and de-stemmed it.  Then she dusted the sardines with panko and flour and salt and pepper and sautéed them in olive oil and butter and one clove of garlic.

I had cut the stems off the mushrooms, so they would sit flat on the pan and sliced the three remaining porcinis into flat thick slices.  Then I heated about 3 Tbsp. of oil in a large skillet and placed the mushrooms in the skillet.  The recipe said to turn every minute, but we turned the mushrooms about every three minutes for about three times.  Then I ran to the garden and got some sage, basil and marjoram and chopped it and threw it into the mushrooms with the five cloves of sliced garlic and the purslane.
After another minute I poured about 2 Tbsp. of Spanish sherry into the mushrooms and flipped them again and cooked them for another few minutes.  I then fetched the bunch of Italian Parsley I had bought at Ta Lin and removed the leaves from the stems and chopped about 2 Tbsp. of it and threw it into the mushroom pan.   Then Suzette drained the pasta and tossed it with the mushrooms in the large skillet.  I fetched a bottle of Chateau de Nages rosé from Costieres de Nimes ($9.99 at Total Wine) and we were ready to eat.


I must admit that the porcinis (the dark capped mushroom on the right in the above picture) did not taste much different than the white mushrooms after they were sautéed in the same ingredients, so it was a waste to use the $15.00/lb. porcinis in this recipe (unless you are leaving town on Sunday and need to use them).

We ate on the patio and fileted the sardines as best we could in the low light and removed as many bones as possible and found that eating any small bones was not a problem after they had been thoroughly fried. 

 
We loved the meal.  As Suzette said, “What can be bad about fried fish.”
The rose was wonderful; smooth tasting, yet full of flavor and light enough to be a good complement to both the light fleshed sardines and the mushrooms and pasta.  It is one of the best French rosés I have tasted in a long time.


It was a beautiful evening and after I had begun reading in bed, Suzette came and got me  go out and look at the moon, which was surrounded by an amazing halo of light that appeared to be graduated  in tone from light in front of the moon to the darkness of space around it.


Willy and Suzette then took a walk in the moon light, while I went to sleep.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment