Sunday, December 16, 2012

December 13, 2012 Oaxacan Green Mole


December 13, 2012 Oaxacan Green Mole
I went to Santa Fe today to argue a Motion for Summary Judgment in the Lower Rio Grande Adjudication case.  Suzette was kind enough to get up at 6:30 a.m. and make pork burritos.  After the hearing at 11:30 a.m. the consensus was to go to Cowgirls, where Bill Turner and I each had the Red pear salad with dry roasted pecans and arugula and greens.  Bill ordered a blue cheese dressing plus the raspberry vinaigrette which added a creamier texture to the salad.  I was sunny and around 55˚ when I got home so after a few calls around 3:30 I decided to ride. 
When I got home and showered Suzette arrived and she had eaten, so I ended up eating a second burrito for dinner.  I awakened around 3:00 a.m. and decided to make the pork mole dish that I had bought nopales and Mexican squash to make at Pro’s last Thursday, so I got the Rick Bayless’ Mexican Kitchen cookbook out and found the Oaxacan Green Mole with Pork, White Beans and Mexican Vegetables (page 290) recipe and saw that it called for green string beans instead of squash, but alas I wanted to do a Northern Mexico variation by substituting squash for green beans.   So I chopped and sautéed one onion and put it in a large enameled casserole and added the nopales to it and started cooking it.  Then I broiled one jalapeno and the 2 lbs. of tomatillos and five or six cloves of garlic about five inches from the burner for about 15 minutes.  I threw the tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic in the food processor with ½ tsp. of ground cumin and 4 or 5 cloves and pureed it into a sauce, which I added to the casserole.  I then diced 1 ½ lb. of the PPI pork tenderloin and put that in the casserole.  According to the recipe, at this point one can stop the recipe and wait until one serves the dish to add an herb puree of 4 sprigs of parsley, 2 sprigs of epazote or cilantro and 2 leaves of Hoja Santo or the green tops of a fennel plant.
At around 5:30 a.m. I went back to bed happy with my new dish.
Bon Appètit
 

No comments:

Post a Comment