Sunday, August 5, 2012

August 3, 2012, a Fishy Day of Food: Lunch-Chirashi at Azuma, Dinner-Sautéed Halibut and Yu Choy


I went by Costco after a lunch of chirashi at Azuma.  The sushi guys at Azuma have worked out an assortment of fish that I like (four slices of ultra-white tuna, four slices of yellowtail tuna, two slices of salmon, two slices of red “maguro” tuna and two slices of octopus plus the usual two slices of omelet and two slices of pickled daikon, with shredded fresh daikon, wasabi and sliced pickled ginger on a layer of sushi rice in a box).  I drink hot green tea.

After lunch I went to Costco for fish and found fresh halibut ($17.99/lb.) and two new white wines that I thought might go well with fish, so I bought a slice of halibut filet and one bottle each of Bursans Albarino and a Dry Creek Sauvignon Blanc ($10.99 each).

When Suzette arrived home, we discussed how to cook the meal.  I remembered the great dish I used to order called Bonne Femme (a battered slice of dover sole, sautéed in butter sauce), so I suggested battering and sautéing the fish and making a piccata sauce with parsley, lemon juice and capers sautéed in butter) and since we had an unopened bag of Yu Choy, simply cooking the Yu Choy in a wok with some fresh garlic, but without the normal Chinese sauces.

So I chopped up about three cups of Yu Choy, separating the stems from the leaves and Suzette cut the fish filet into four pieces and coated the fish in egg and then dusted the fish in rice flour and then fried it in a skillet filled to about ¼ inch with canola oil.  We decided to try the Bursans Albarino. 

So dinner was very simple.  Suzette dipped, dusted and fried the fish.  I stir fried the Yu Choy in peanut oil with the garlic and we both worked on the sauce.  We then plated the dishes with fish, poured sauce over them and laid a pile of Yu Choy on the plate and a wedge of fresh lemon.

The Bursans Albarino was a little sweeter and less citrusy than Laxas Albarino.  I actually think the Dry Creek Sauvignon Blanc would have been a better match to the fish and vegetables because of its more citrus flavor.   

 Bon Appétit 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment