Thursday, October 27, 2011

Dinner - October 26, 2011 Hamburgers with stuffed Delicata squash and green beans

Dinner -  October 26, 2011 Hamburgers with stuffed Delicata squash  and green beans
and a luscious lunch at Cafe Lush

I had to work until 6:15 pm filing documents in my Lower Rio Grande case, so we had only a short discussion about dinner before I went to meditate and our neighbor, Susan Palmer, arrived with a container of chanterelle mushrooms from Costco and the left over roasted vegetables from Saturday evening’s meal at their house.

The extent of our dinner planning was Suzette asking if I wanted to use the thawed out hamburgers and my saying, “Yes, with a slice of blue cheese” and Suzette saying, “I would like to bake the squash,” and a short discussion about what would be a good green vegetable with us deciding to use the leftover green beans.

So when I returned home around I discovered that Suzette had created two new recipes for dinner, one new and one with leftovers.

Suzette sautéed onions and the chanterelle mushrooms, pinon nuts and roasted green chile (locally grown in Peralta, N.M.) with the hamburger and split the delicata squash along its length to form a boat and filled the boat with some of the leftover roasted vegetables, some fresh eggplant (purchased at the Farmer’s Market) and a bit of butter and baked them in the oven for an hour.

It made a beautiful plate: the yellow delicata squash with its green stripes filled with colorful roasted vegetables: (red and striped beets, carrots, potatoes (Peruvian purples, red skinned and white skinned), onions, carrots, the eggplants and parsnips, all tinted pink by the red beet juice; the stocky hamburger with melted blue cheese mounded high with the mushroom, pinon nut and green chile medley and a pile of dark green beans.

We drank beer with the meal to ease the distress in my stomach caused by my super Callans Pizza at Café Lush .  I love Café Lush  (corner of 7th and Tijeras) because it makes so much first rate food in such a small space and is near my house.  What I call a Super Callans Pizza is not a regular menu item but a Callans pizza with its red sauce, homemade green chile sausage, and mozzarella cheese, to which is added a pile of fresh spinach leaves, fresh sliced mushrooms and several cloves of roasted garlic found on Lush’s Booby Pizza.  The pizza is constructed on a thin crust, 7 or 8 inch round, pre-baked flat bread, so each person gets their own individual pizza pie, which I think is a fun meal.  I took my friend and sometimes art dealer, Peter Eller, for his first visit and he loved it.  Peter also thought the Agnes Sims painting I had purchased last weekend was the best he had seen of her sandstone petroglyph genre and that made me really happy.   

Bon Apetit    

No comments:

Post a Comment